Who knows which way the wind will blow or where I'll be tomorrow, but this is about my journey in this life. The life I have been given is a beautiful & blessed one. Below you will find posts about my journey. This is my journey, this is "Life as I Know It."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

G'Day Mate!


I am officially in Australia! We landed on November 11 at 7:50 am; I am being specific because it is already November 12 here! The journey to Brisbane, Australia was long, DFW to LAX, then LAX to Brisbane…and believe me the flight from LAX to Brisbane was not a short one; 14 hours! The flight was nice, with the exception of a crying baby every now and then, but nothing like some of the noise my classes have the ability to make. Students, I am sure you are still being well behaved and not so noisy for Mrs. Clark—you best be!  J I slept, watched movies, and ate breakfast. For an airline, I must say I was impressed with the food! When we landed we had to go through customs; Australia is INSANELY strict on bringing food into their country. They have search dogs smell everyone’s bags. Our professor warned us of this back in the states; another girl and I both had to be searched. Funny that I called I’d be the one to get searched prior to arriving in Australia! The dog smelt my banana from LA and my trail mix that was gone…it was a great start to my experience and luckily, I did not have to be quarantined!
We are here! :)

After getting through customs and exchanging money we made it to our apartments; they are right along the river and are really nice! There’s a kitchen with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, and a dishwasher. It also came with dishes, utensils, etc. It’s a nicely sized apartment with one bed. Luckily they put a twin trundle in our living room so my roommate and I won’t have to share! For those who might be concerned about our safety in these apartments: you have to have your key to get anywhere, up and down the elevator, in the room, etc. So no worries there and the people here seem nice and friendly—the best part is they speak English, which makes it ten times easier for communication & asking questions! The staff are very friendly and I have a feeling we will become good friends with them!

We had tons of down time so three of us, Jessica, Deanna and I, went to explore Brisbane. We found the super market, which is fairly close to our apartments! Walked along the boardwalk, found multiple subways, and just got use to the city. We found a cute sandwich shop and had lunch. After exploring for quite some time, we grabbed our computers and found free Wi-Fi at McDonald’s...in Chinatown...in Brisbane, Australia. My mother thought that was kind of ironic; there’s a Chinatown there!? Yes, mother, there is. We spent a few hours there insuring our relatives and friends that we safely arrived. At this point I was losing it; I was tired and all I wanted to do was sleep, but it was only 3pm! We came back to the apartments, unpacked and cleaned up for dinner. My roommate, Deanna, and I went out to dinner. We ate at a place called JoJo’s in the Queens Street area of Brisbane. We split a margarita pizza; it was cheap and very good! I have a feeling we will be revisiting that restaurant with more from the group! We finished dinner, came back to the apartment and crashed. I was out in a matter minutes!

Today (November 12) we plan to go to the super market and grab some groceries! We will find a good place to chill, read a book, and relax. There is nothing on the agenda as a group and we just want to relax. We did a lot of walking yesterday! So that’s all for now!

Until next time,

Kelsey 

No comments:

Post a Comment