Who knows which way the wind will blow or where I'll be tomorrow, but this is about my journey in this life. The life I have been given is a beautiful & blessed one. Below you will find posts about my journey. This is my journey, this is "Life as I Know It."

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving in Australia!

The first greeting as Deanna, Jess, and I entered the staff lounge was “Happy Thanksgiving!” The staff were so warm and welcoming to us! They were curious if there was a specific greeting, dance, or handshake…We, sadly, had to inform them that there was not…unless they wanted to say “Gobble, gobble!” After talking to the staff for awhile Deanna, Jess, and I headed to the Home EC room to start preparing our three side dishes for the Thanksgiving Festival: Scalloped Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, and Cream of Corn. We spent the majority of the morning preparing the dishes. We definitely used our math skills…lots of conversion from the customary system to the metric!

Getting ready to cook in the Home Ec room! 
Cooking! :)
The Turkey Cupcakes that one of Jess' students made for the three of us! Precious!
Once we had the casseroles prepared, I went to my classroom and presented a PowerPoint on the state of Texas! My students enjoyed and of course, one was especially excited about the Armadillos! After that I went to morning tea; it was nice to get a break from the kitchen and hang out with the staff! Deanna, Jess, and I headed back to the kitchen to put all the dishes in the oven, then we just monitored! Everything was ready for lunch at 12:45! We had quite the feast: rolls, chicken, stuffing, green bean casserole, scalloped potatoes, cream of corn, pumpkin pie, and chocolate mousse cake! Needless-to-say, I was stuffed after lunch! Thanksgiving was a great success and felt much like home! After eating the delicious meal, all the male teachers were guled to the Ashes game (England vs. Australia…it’s a HUGE deal). There were cheers and screaming…reminded me of my family watching football!


The Thanksgiving Feast at Whites Hill State College!
Pumpkin Pie made by my teacher, Robyn! 
Ms. Baker with the middle school crowd! :)
The staff at Whites Hill! So hilarious and thankful for the laughter provided at every morning tea and lunch! 

After the meal my teacher took Deanna, Jess, and I to the Scholastic book fair! We found some great deals on Aussie books! :) Glad she was able to give us a ride and much appreciated tour of Brisbane on the way there! After that she dropped us off at a CityCat station. These are catamarans that take you places...A taxi on water basically! It was a smooth ride and tons of fun! 
Jess, Deanna, and myself on the CityCat!
Being away from family on Thanksgiving is not the norm. Typically one goes to be with family. Even though I am away from friends and family this Thanksgiving, I still have tons to be thankful for! I consider myself truly blessed to have the ability to communicate with friends and family due to the advancement of technology. I am thankful to be here, in Australia, experiencing the world and whole different art to teaching. I am thankful for the friendships that have strengthened due to this trip. I am extremely thankful for the life the Lord has given me to live and live to the fullest. I am thankful for all my friends and family and the blessings they bring to my life. I am thankful for the redemption found in Jesus and His sacrifice because we are all sinners. I am thankful for life and the ability to live it. There is so much to be thankful for during this time of thanks, but more importantly daily. It’s a reminder to give thanks in all circumstances and in every aspect of life. During this time, I am reminded of a hymn that should be our song daily:

Give thanks with a grateful heart. Give thanks to the Holy One. Give Thanks because He has given Jesus Christ His son. And now let the weak say I am strong. Let the poor say I am rich because of what the Lord has done for us...Give Thanks.”
Give thanks today and always.
Tons of love sent your way,
Kelsey Michele



No comments:

Post a Comment